The Water MillSnowdonia, near Harlech Sleeps up to 8Map of all Cottages
An unusual and unique holiday home in Snowdonia, inextricably linked, historically and physically, to the bustling stream by which it sits.
Totally transformed into an exceptional living space only this century, yet a working building has stood on this site since the 12th century. Whilst it maintains clear and intriguing signs of its history, they are now cleverly combined with the modern comforts of a cherished home in this former flour mill to the Harlech estate.
You will have an opportunity to live and experience an historic place by staying in the Water Mill. Inside and out you cannot help but be mesmerised by the turn of the water wheel and the sound of the water falls by the complexities of the ancient mechanism now frozen in time.
The main house sleeps 6 and with the annex that adjoins to the property you can accommodate a further 2 guests. The annex has its own small kitchen, bathroom and cute wood burning stove.
The large, garden is a wonderful place for teenage children (and adults who hopefully retain their sense of adventure). The roaming garden is divided, from the woods on the opposite slope, by the tumbling stream. At the top of the garden the stream is diverted to the tranquil mill pond to power the water wheel, all of which you are free to explore.
Enjoy summer BBQs on the decking at the top or a glass of wine in the decked area right by the stream, not matter where you are in the garden you will not escape the hypnotising sound of water.
There is plenty to discover further afield, including the unique coastal resort of Portmerion. As well as visiting the village you can get the best view of it, across the estuary, on a walk straight from the Water Mill. Harlech, with its castle, beach and its many places to eat and drink is just 5 miles away.
Leave time to enjoy hearty meals and sociable evenings in, search for the 200 year old graffiti or simply relax in the sauna.
“Wow what an amazing treasure you have.” Hayley and Eddie
“The bed is definitively the most comfortable we have ever slept in, and we drift off to sleep like proverbial babies…” Fabric magazine
At a glance
BEST FOR… Secluded holidays with teens & friends
LOCALLY… Brave a dip in the mill pond, Portmeion & Harlech
STYLE… Ancient mill meets comfortable family home
- ‘Country style’ kitchen with informal dining space
- Old mill mechanism & mill stones incorporated in living space
- Log burning stove & radiators heat the large living room
- Underfloor heating plus an Aga in the kitchen keep the downstairs cosy
- Upstairs modern central heating means bed & bathrooms are toasty
- Upstairs a double bedroom and a twin bedroom
- 1 king size bedroom downstairs with underfloor heating
- Each bedroom dressed with Welsh blankets and big fluffy duvets
- Main bathroom with a shower over the bath & additional WC
- Cottage annex across the garden
- King sized bed with a view across the garden
- Ensuite shower room & a small kitchen to make morning coffee
- Vita iPod dock & radio
- Satellite TV & DVD
- WIFI internet
- BBQ and fire pit with spit
TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Washing machine
- Large fridge and freezer
- No Security Deposit
- Best for bigger kids
- Great for multi-generational family holidays using the private annex.
- Large garden, stream & pond
History & comfort in harmony
Inside at the Water Mill
- A magnificent and historically significant building now a comfortable family home.
- The dining kitchen is the heart of the house, full of intrigue with the water wheel mechanism dominating and if you search 200 year old graffiti.
- There is still room for a family kitchen with an AGA and large fridge to help your cooking and a family sized dining table at which to enjoy your feasts.
- The mill mechanism continues upstairs into the living room with sofas and bean bags arranged around the log burning stove.
- For entertainment there is a flat screen TV with Sky and Vita Audio iPod dock & radio, so don’t forget your iPod.
- A king size bedroom downstairs and a double and a twin upstairs.
- Main bathroom with a shower over the bath and a separate cloakroom.
- The lounge and bedrooms look and feel warm and inviting with cosy Welsh blankets
- For an added touch of luxury there is a sauna room.
- Across the patio there is a separate cottage annex with king size bed, bathroom and kitchen area which is perfect for an additional couple and to expand the house to sleep 8.
Outside The Water Mill
- Two large seating areas looking down on the stream perfect for alfresco dining in the quiet spot.
- Great for groups of friends or families with older children with the stream running along the bottom of the garden.
- A perfect location to enjoy outdoor activities, explore the Snowdonia National Park and discover the stunning coastal scenery of Cardigan bay.
Things you should know
The Water Mill (Y Felin) was one of the flour mills for the Harlech estate so is situated by a stream in a tiny hamlet near Harlech & Portmerion. There is a house across the lane and another further down the lane, neither impose on the house or garden at The Water Mill.
The Water Mill garden runs long side the stream which is not fenced therefore this family house is best suited for older children not toddlers. You can take a dip in the fenced, tranquil Mill pond, should you wish.
Mobile reception is patchy in the house, most networks have limited reception in the garden. There is a landline phone for emergencies or should people need to contact you.
There are wireless internet facilities at The Water Mill.
Pets unfortunately cannot be accepted at The Water Mill.
Snowdonia & Cardigan BayMap of all Cottages
The Water Mill Location
- Explore Cardigan Bay beaches and castle town of Harlech 4.5 hour drive from London: 240 miles
- Snowdonia hills and historic village of Portmerion less than 2.5 hour from Manchester: 120 miles
- The Water Mill sits by a stream, powering the restored water wheel, on a hillside by the Harlech estuary.
Things to do near Water Mill
Out and about near the Water Mill, our favourites…
- Take a dip in the Mill pond
- For the more adventurous don your wet suit and trainers and ‘canyon’ in the stream
- Explore the vast sandy beaches and spectacular castle 5 miles away at Harlech
- Head further in to Snowdonia for great walking and outdoor activities
- Stroll up the lane & treat yourself to dinner at Maes-y-Neuadd, continental influence with local & home grown ingredients
- While away afternoons in the fascinating coastal towns of Portmerion (6 miles), Porthmadog (7 miles) and Barmouth (14 miles)
- More things to do in Snowdonia…
If you want to know more about what’s happening nearby throughout the year, follow the links below.
When you book, whatever your passion just let us know, we’ll find all of the information you need and include it in your tailored guide, sent to you before you arrive.
Call or email us to find out more: 01865 764087 firstname.lastname@example.org
The highest peak south of the Scottish Highlands, Snowdon is 1,085m high but there are plenty of opportunities for all abilities…
For the more adventurous there is so much to do near all of our properties. From fishing and mountain biking to caving and coasteering…
An awe inspiring, ‘fantasy’ castle in equally inspiring and spectacular surroundings…
The classic horseshoe route up to Snowdon summit and back…
The Water Mill press
The Water Mill has been recognised by guests and press alike.
Here is a selection of press articles in which The Water Mill has been featured…
The bed is definitively the most comfortable we have ever slept in, and we drift off to sleep like proverbial babies…
Water Mill Reviews
Until quite recently only the owners and their family have enjoyed this place, lovingly renovating the mill but leaving some time to relax and recharge which is made all too easy here.
“The Water Mill is a homely and intriguing place to stay. The flowing of the stream and the turning of water wheel are absolutely mesmerising: unfortunately I didn’t have time to try the sauna but I always like to leave a reason to return!” Helen, Sheepskin
You don’t need to take our word for it though, here are comments from some of guests at the Water Mill…
“The house was phenomenal, and an absolutely stunning place. The waterfalls around it are amazing…. we’d love to return!” May 2014
“We just wanted to drop a line with another big ‘Thank you’ for a fourth wonderful Sheepskin break. The Watermill was everything promised, and more; we eagerly ran into the house and were opening up doors left, right and centre to see what was there – and then paused when I realised I needed to spend a penny and could not remember which door led to the bathroom! It certainly is like a maze.
And then the day we are leaving you send out a mail tempting us with new cottages.
I have to say that before booking this break, we did look again at other websites / holiday providers, some of which you appreciate are a little cheaper; however, with the challenging British weather, we can at least be guaranteed that Sheepskin properties will be comfortable and spacious inside, with well presented outside space too, and all the amenities needed should we be stuck inside. Thus the additional cost becomes irrelevant. I am so glad I picked up the Saturday Times in 2011 and saw one of your cottages advertised.
The only downside from our recent stay is that our bed no longer feels as comfortable after the bed in the Watermill. I would be grateful if you could advise me of the brand of memory foam topper, marshmallow pillows and quilts that you use so we can bring a little Sheepskin comfort to our home.
Thank you so much again, and I am sure it will not be long until our next stay.” April 2014
“The Water Mill is definitely the most unique place we have ever stayed in and the best is most possibly the most comfortable we have slept in! Hope to be back in the summer to enjoy sundowners on the deck and a dip in the mill pool (maybe!).” Liz & Chris
“The grounds are absolutely stunning and so peaceful. We loved siting below by the waterfall during the day and cozying up by the fire at night. A great experience.” MacKenzie & April.
“Me and my brother, Elliot, loved staying at the Water Mill. I jumpers in the dip pool, it was freezing! The beds are so comfortable! It rocks!” Lili-Ann, age 10.
“You have a beautiful and peaceful home. We have all had a very relaxing break. The garden was perfect for photography.” Jonathan, Sarah, Josh, Leah & Benji.
“Thank you so much for a fantastic honeymoon. The house and garden are amazing!” Vivki & Dan
“We’ve all had a marvellous week, it’s been lovely waking to the sound of the stream. The girls had a wonderful time here” The White family
We must let you know we had a fantastic time at The Water Mill, it was one of the best weekend getaways as the location of the mill is unparalleled! The huge water mill and our very own water fall at the back of the house was absolutely mind blowing and the weather over the May bank holiday weekend was the icing on the cake! All the best to the Sheepskin team for creating more wonderful memories – Navanita
This is truly a wonderful spot – Matt & Carolyn from Doncaster
“Wow what an amazing treasure you have. Thank you so very much for helping us to relax and unwind – its worked! The Mill is truly jaw dropping and we’ll never forget our stay here.” Hayley and Eddie from Oxfordshire.
“Just a quick note to say thanks a million for organising our lovely stay in the Watermill. We fell in love with the place and I don’t think we have chilled out that much for many years, it was the perfect Honeymoon and exactly what we were looking for!
Also, the service provided by Sheepskin was top class..all the little touches really helped to make our stay special (champagne & nibbles on arrival, the informative booklet, the overall organisation).
I will most definitely be using Sheepskin for the future and have already recommended it to countless people!” Dominic & Ervinder
Water Mill availability
We are as flexible as possible with arrival date and length of stay.
We have a minimum booking of 3 nights and, during peak holiday times, a minimum of 7 night stays.
The preferred arrival day for The Water Mill is Friday.
Our calendars are up to date at the end of each working day. Do feel free to get in touch if you would like to check any dates with us or ask anything before you make your decision.
Call, email or fill out our booking form, whichever you prefer and we will be in touch to confirm all of the details with you.
Bookings are subject to availability and treated on a first come first served basis. If you want to be sure to reserve the dates you want and you’re searching outside of office hours filling out our form is the best way.
If you want to see dates for all of our cottages, please go to our availability page.
Please use the left and right arrows to scroll through the months.
Prices for Water Mill
We’re here to take the hassle away from booking and planning your holiday.
Like life but better…
Most importantly there are no hidden extras, the price below includes everything from tea towels to bath towels, utilities of course and essential extras such as logs for the fire.
The price also includes ‘Special touches’ like your guide tailored sent to you to help you plan your holiday, sumptuous Sheepskin bathrobes and a welcome hamper.
We want you to relax and enjoy your holiday so no security deposit to worry about either. This works because our guests are like our owners they respect and appreciate beautiful places and other people’s precious homes.
Accidents do happen and if damage does occur during your stay we will ask for reasonable contribution towards the cost of repairs or replacements.
Please read our user-friendly terms and conditions for more information and which by confirming your booking you are agreeing to.
|The Water Mill sleeps||6 people|
|Prices noted above are for The Water Mill main house to sleeps 6.|
|The Water Mill has a separate cottage annex which extends the property to sleep 8. The price for the house plus annex are listed below.|
|Water Mill with annex sleeps||8 people|
|The Water Mill is available for short breaks, (minimum 3 nights) year round, except for peak holiday times. The preferred arrival day for the Water Mill is Friday.Please get in touch to confirm if you want to check a particular date.|
Like life but even better… if you’ve stayed with Sheepskin within the last 6 months and are booking ‘off-peak’ for 5 nights or more we will reduce the standard rate by 10% for you.
When we receive your booking form we will reserve your requested dates for 5 days and we will be in touch to confirm all the finer details with you.
If you prefer call or email:
+44 (0) 1865 764 087