The Water MillSnowdonia, near Harlech Sleeps up to 8Map of all Cottages
An unusual and unique holiday home in Snowdonia, inextricably linked, historically and physically, to the bustling stream by which it sits.
An exceptional living space transformed from a 12th century mill. Whilst it maintains clear and intriguing signs of its history, they are now cleverly combined with the modern comforts of a cherished home in this former flour-mill to the Harlech estate.
An opportunity to experience an historic place staying in The Water Mill. Inside and out you cannot help but be mesmerised by the water wheel, the sound of the water-falls and the complexities of the ancient mechanism now frozen in time.
The main house sleeps 6 and with the separate cottage annex across the garden you can accommodate a further 2 guests.
You are free to explore the large & roaming garden. With the stream and tranquil mill pond it’s a wonderful place for teenage children (and adults who hopefully retain their sense of adventure).
Enjoy summer BBQs or a glass of wine no matter where you are in the garden you will not escape the hypnotising sound of water.
Plenty to discover nearby too; Harlech, with its castle, beach and many places to eat and drink is just 5 miles away.
Or visit the unique coastal resort of Portmerion. We think you get the best view of Portmerion, across the estuary, on a walk straight from the Water Mill.
Leave time to enjoy hearty meals and sociable evenings in or simply relax in the sauna.
“Wow what an amazing treasure you have.” Hayley and Eddie
“The bed is definitively the most comfortable we have ever slept in, and we drift off to sleep like proverbial babies…” Fabric magazine
At a glance
BEST FOR… Secluded holidays with teens & friends
LOCALLY… Private garden, Portmerion & Harlech
STYLE… Ancient mill meets comfortable family home
- ‘Country style’ kitchen with informal dining space
- Old mill mechanism & mill stones incorporated in living space
- Big comfy sofas arranged around the log burning stove
- Under-floor heating plus an Aga in the kitchen keep the downstairs cosy
- 1 king size bedroom downstairs with under-floor heating
- Upstairs a double bedroom and a twin bedroom
- Upstairs central heating means bed & bathrooms are toasty too
- Each bedroom dressed with Welsh blankets and big fluffy duvets
- Main bathroom with a shower over the bath
- Additional WC next to the sauna
- Cottage annex across the garden to expand house to 8
- Vita iPod dock & radio
- Satellite TV & DVD
- WIFI internet
- BBQ and fire pit with spit
TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Bed made for arrival
- Towels, soaps and bathrobes provided
- Welcome hamper of cooking essentials
- Dishwasher and microwave
- Large fridge and freezer
- Washing machine
- No Security Deposit
- Best for bigger kids
- Great for multi-generational family holidays using the private annex.
- Large garden, stream & pond
History & comfort in harmony
- A magnificent and historically significant building now a comfortable family home.
- The dining kitchen is the heart of the house, full of intrigue with the water wheel mechanism dominating and if you search 200 year old graffiti.
- A cook’s kitchen with an AGA and large fridge to help your cooking and a family sized dining table at which to enjoy your feasts.
- The mill mechanism continues upstairs into the living room with sofas and bean bags arranged around the log burning stove.
- For entertainment there is a flat screen TV with Sky and Vita Audio iPod dock & radio, so don’t forget your iPod.
- A king size bedroom downstairs and a double and a twin upstairs.
- For an added touch of luxury there is a sauna room.
- Main bathroom with a shower over the bath and a separate cloakroom.
- Across the patio there is a separate cottage annex with king size bed, bathroom and kitchen area perfect for an additional couple.
- Two private seating areas in the garden perfect for alfresco dining in this quiet spot.
- Great for groups of friends or families with older children with the stream running along the bottom of the garden.
- Enjoy outdoor activities, explore the Snowdonia National Park and discover the stunning coastal scenery of Cardigan bay.
Things you should know
The Water Mill (Y Felin) was one of the flour mills for the Harlech estate so is situated in a tiny hamlet near Harlech & Portmerion. There is a house across the lane and another further down the lane, neither impose on the house or garden at The Water Mill.
The Water Mill garden runs along side the stream which is not fenced therefore this family house is best suited for older children not toddlers. You can take a dip in the fenced, tranquil Mill pond, should you wish.
Mobile reception is patchy in the house, most networks have limited reception in the garden. There is a landline phone for emergencies or should people need to contact you.
There are wireless internet facilities at The Water Mill.
Pets unfortunately cannot be accepted at The Water Mill.
Snowdonia & Cardigan BayMap of all Cottages
The Water Mill Location
- Explore Cardigan Bay beaches and castle town of Harlech 4.5 hour drive from London: 240 miles
- Snowdonia hills and historic village of Portmerion less than 2.5 hour from Manchester: 120 miles
- The Water Mill sits by a stream, powering the restored water wheel, on a hillside by the Harlech estuary.
Things to do near Water Mill
Out and about near the Water Mill, our favourites…
- Take a dip in the Mill pond
- For the more adventurous don your wet suit and trainers and ‘canyon’ in the stream
- Explore the vast sandy beaches and spectacular castle 5 miles away at Harlech
- Head further in to Snowdonia for great walking and outdoor activities
- Stroll up the lane & treat yourself to dinner at Maes-y-Neuadd, continental influence with local & home grown ingredients
- While away afternoons in the fascinating coastal towns of Portmerion (6 miles), Porthmadog (7 miles) and Barmouth (14 miles)
- More things to do in Snowdonia…
If you want to know more about what’s happening nearby throughout the year, follow the links below.
When you book, whatever your passion just let us know, we’ll find all of the information you need and include it in your tailored guide, sent to you before you arrive.
Call or email us to find out more: 01865 764087 email@example.com
The highest peak south of the Scottish Highlands, Snowdon is 1,085m high but there are plenty of opportunities for all abilities…
For the more adventurous there is so much to do near all of our properties. From fishing and mountain biking to caving and coasteering…
An awe inspiring, ‘fantasy’ castle in equally inspiring and spectacular surroundings…
The classic horseshoe route up to Snowdon summit and back…
The Water Mill press
The Water Mill has been recognised by guests and press alike.
Here is a selection of press articles in which The Water Mill has been featured…
The bed is definitively the most comfortable we have ever slept in, and we drift off to sleep like proverbial babies…
Water Mill Reviews
“The Water Mill is a homely and intriguing place to stay. The flowing of the stream and the turning of water wheel are absolutely mesmerising: unfortunately I didn’t have time to try the sauna but I always like to leave a reason to return!” Helen, Sheepskin
You don’t need to take our word for it though, here are comments from guests at the Water Mill…
“The house was phenomenal, and an absolutely stunning place. The waterfalls around it are amazing…. we’d love to return!” May 2014
“We just wanted to drop a line with another big ‘Thank you’ for a fourth wonderful Sheepskin break. The Watermill was everything promised, and more…the only downside from our recent stay is that our bed at home no longer feels as comfortable after the bed in the Watermill. Thank you so much again, and I am sure it will not be long until our next stay.” Judith, April 2014
“The Water Mill is definitely the most unique place we have ever stayed in and the bed is most possibly the most comfortable we have slept in! Hope to be back in the summer to enjoy sundowners on the deck and a dip in the mill pool (maybe!).” Liz & Chris
“The grounds are absolutely stunning and so peaceful. We loved siting below by the waterfall during the day and cozying up by the fire at night. A great experience.” MacKenzie & April
“Me and my brother, Elliot, loved staying at the Water Mill. I jumpers in the dip pool, it was freezing! The beds are so comfortable! It rocks!” Lili-Ann, age 10.
“You have a beautiful and peaceful home. We have all had a very relaxing break. The garden was perfect for photography.” Jonathan, Sarah, Josh, Leah & Benji
“Thank you so much for a fantastic honeymoon. The house and garden are amazing!” Vicki & Dan
“We’ve all had a marvelous week, it’s been lovely waking to the sound of the stream. The girls had a wonderful time here” The White family
“Just got back and want to let you know we had a fantastic time at The Water Mill, it was one of the best weekend getaways as the location of the mill is unparalleled! The huge water mill and our very own water fall at the back of the house was absolutely mind blowing … All the best to the Sheepskin team for creating more wonderful memories” Navanita
“This is truly a wonderful spot” Matt & Carolyn
“Wow what an amazing treasure. Thank you so very much for helping us to relax and unwind – its worked! The Mill is truly jaw dropping, we’ll never forget our stay here.” Hayley & Eddie
“Just a quick note to say thanks a million for organising our lovely stay in the Watermill. We fell in love with the place and I don’t think we have chilled out that much for many years, it was the perfect Honeymoon and exactly what we were looking for! I will most definitely be using Sheepskin for the future and have already recommended it to countless people!” Dominic & Ervinder
Water Mill availability
We are as flexible as possible with arrival date and length of stay.
We have a minimum booking of 3 nights and 7 nights during peak holiday times.
Our calendars are up to date at the end of each working day.
Bookings are subject to availability and on a first come first served basis. To reserve the dates you want completing our booking form is the fastest way.
To check any dates or details before making your decision just get in touch. Call, email or fill out our booking form, whichever you prefer.
To see dates for all cottages, please go to our availability page.
Please use the left and right arrows to scroll through the months.
Prices for Water Mill
No hidden extras…
our prices include everything from tea towels to bath towels
and special extras such as logs for the fire, bathrobes and a welcome hamper there when you arrive.
The price also includes your tailored guide to help plan your holiday.
We know that you respect and appreciate beautiful places and other people’s precious homes so…
Relax and enjoy your holiday with no security deposit to worry about.
Accidents do happen and if damage does occur during your stay we ask for a reasonable contribution towards the cost of repairs or replacements.
Please read our user-friendly terms and conditions which, by confirming your booking, you agree to.
|Prices above are for The Water Mill main house to sleeps 6.|
|The Water Mill has a separate cottage annex which extends the property to sleep 8.
The price for the house plus annex are listed below.
|Water Mill with annex sleeps||8 people|
|The Water Mill is available for short breaks, (min 3 nights) except peak holiday times.
The preferred arrival day for the Water Mill is Friday.
Come back soon… Stay again with Sheepskin, within 6 months, booking ‘off-peak’ for 5 nights or more and we’ll reduce the standard rate by 10% for you.
When we receive your booking form we will reserve your requested dates for 5 days and we will be in touch to confirm all the finer details with you.
If you prefer call or email:
+44 (0) 1865 764 087