The Music MillHathersage, Peak District, Derbyshire Sleeps 4–6
A large family holiday house perfect for outdoor loving groups and families. A piece of music history, let the music play on…
“Amazing service from sheepskinlife and the Mill was just stunning. One of the best holiday cottages I have ever rented.” Jason, July 2011
An intriguing location for the first record player needle factory in the UK, hidden in the Derbyshire hills, by a stream at the edge of Hathersage village. The Music Mill keeps its Victorian, industrial appearance on the outside but now with contemporary comfort and decadent design on the inside.
The indulgence you need after experiencing the Peak District outdoor activities and adventures on your doorstep. The Music Mill wows you as you enter, through the old workers entrance, into the stunning open plan living area. Enjoy the cavernous, sociable space; cook a feast for friends, catch up in front of the fire or relax awhile in the originally styled bathroom all with a fantastic music system for accompaniment of course.
Just a short walk from Hathersage village centre, close to Edale, in the heart of the Peak District in the Hope Valley The Music Mill is a great base for an active family holiday, a special place for a celebration or an unusual house to use for a luxurious group get together.
|Download a printable brochure of The Music Mill…|
“Amazing service from sheepskinlife. com, and the Mill was just stunning. One of the best holiday cottages I have ever rented.” Jason, July 2011
The Music Mill is now offering Yoga weekends. Read more on your experience page…
Send to a friend
At a glance
|2 king, 1 double||Open plan living|
|Log burning stove||Under-floor heating|
|iPod dock||Satellite TV & DVD|
|TO MAKE LIFE EASIER|
|No Security Deposit||Pet friendly|
|Absolutely!||1 room with single bed|
|Enclosed patio area||Travel Cot and Highchair|
English heritage hidden in the hills...
Inside The Music Mill
- Enter into the light and spacious open plan living area with some fantastic features; stunning ornate lights, a spiral staircase from St. Pancras station and views across Hope Valley.
- Fully equipped kitchen including a breakfast bar, range oven and12 seater dining table and a dishwasher.
- Entertain yourselves with all the mod-cons available with wide screen TV, DVD player and a Playstation.
- Three individual and cosy double bedrooms each equally appealing; the largest has an indulgent, quintessential claw foot bath & view of the fields.
- The second double bedroom has an additional single bed and the third double is the cosiest hidden at the top of the wrought iron spiral staircase.
- Even in the bathroom you are literally surrounded by music in the form of some very interesting and artistic decoration! Here you can indulge in the large bath or the separate shower with multiple jets.
- A warm house throughout with under floor heating and log burning stove in the lounge.
Outside The Music Mill
- Though there are other houses and the railway bridge nearby this is a peaceful location at the edge of Hathersage village.
- There is a sheltered and private patio to the side of the house with a view across the fields to the hills in the distance, perfect for alfresco dining.
- Village location means that it is just a short walk to the great eating places and facilities in Hathersage or walk straight out across the fields into the hills.
The Things you need to know...
The Music Mill is, as it sounds, an old Mill, beautifully converted into a wonderful and indulgent living space but its industrial appearance remains on the outside.
At the edge of the village of Hathersage there are other houses nearby which you walk past to get to the village itself. The windows of the Music Mill look out across the fields and the patio is screened from neighbours.
Running through the centre of Hathersage, as through most of the nearby villages, is a train line which brings many of the outdoor enthusiasts to the area. If you are outside, you will hear the trains as they go by. The viaduct that carries the train line can be seen in the images of The Music Mill.
The third bedroom (at the top of the spiral stair) has only a heavy curtain not a door to close it from the living area.
Mobile phone reception is good at The Music Mill.
Pets are welcome at the Music Mill for a small additional charge.
Luxury living in walking country...
The Music Mill Location
Peak District walking with a unique home to stay in around 3 hours from London: 163 miles
Luxury holiday home with wonderful walking just 1 hour from Manchester: 31.7 miles
- On the edge of walking centre of Hathersage in the Peak District
- Sitting with other houses underneath the railway bridge but this is a peaceful location with the dominant sound being the stream running by the side of the Mill
- The Peak District hills and Lady Bower Reservoir are on your doorstep
Things to do near The Music Mill...
Out and about near The Music Mill, our favourites…
- Walk straight from the door over Stanage Edge and visit Little John’s grave in the churchyard in Hathersage on the way back.
- Take a dip in the Hathersage open air pool, open from 28th May-2nd September.
- Discover the heart of the Peak District with challenging walks on Mam Tor or the Edale circuit or simply admire the breathtaking scenery on a drive through the Hope valley.
- With the many ridges nearby it is the perfect place to try rock climbing.
- Enjoy a wholesome meal from fresh, local ingredients at the George, just down the lane in Hathersage (0.2 miles)
- Stock up on local produce at Coleman’s delicatessen and Bowers Butchers just around the corner
- Explore Blue John Cavern, at Castleton, home to the rarest mineral in Britain and a series of stunning caverns. (7.7miles)
- More things to do in The Peak District
If you want to know more about what’s happening nearby throughout the year, follow the links below.
When you book, whatever your passion; just let us know, we’ll find all of the information you need and include it in your personal, tailored guide sent to you before you arrive.
Call or email us to find out more:
For the more adventurous there is so much to do near all of our properties. From fishing and mountain biking to caving and coasteering…
“Small Fresh and Loud festival in the Peak District…”
A Musical feast in the Peak District…
Finishing Touches, Personal Service...
|We know that your perfect break needs time to search and organize, so we do the searching for you and help tailor your stay to what you love to do.
We’ll find all of the information you’ll need and include it in your personal, Example tailor-made guide sent to you before you arrive.
When you arrive at our cottages you will find beds made with soft cotton sheets, marshmallow duvets, cosy blankets & generous bedspreads. As well as hotel style comforts with sumptuous Sheepskin bathrobes, fluffy cotton towels and iPod docking station so don’t forget your iPod!
We provide all that you need from tea towels, toilet tissue and dishwasher tablets to a generous supply of logs for the log burner and a jute shopping bag (as part of your welcome gift) to take home with you!
With our compliments, for your arrival, there will be a Sheepskin jute bag for you to keep. In the bag you will find; extra virgin olive oil, natural rock salt, fresh black peppercorns, Sheepskin’s own blend roast and ground coffee, tea bags and some tasty treats!
You can also add your own finishing touches by choosing one of our two delicious Tapas selections. Ordered separately and delivered to your cottage, our tapas are a perfect solution for an informal, delicious meal when you first arrive at the cottage or simply when you don’t want to cook, see our delicatessen page for more details.
The Music Mill press
The Music Mill has been recognised by guests and press alike.
Here is a selection of press articles in which The Music Mill has been featured…
Former Gramophone needle factory is visited by Times journalist Tony Dawe…
Music Mill Reviews
“Just wanted to let you know that we had a fantastic time at the Music Mill. Loved it. I want to live there.
We will definitely use you guys again as you were brilliant all the way, the booklet you did was a really great touch, as was the weather forecast” Harriet, September ‘12
“I stayed at The Music Mill earlier this year and loved it. Just looking at your site again to see if we can manage a break in August.” Chris, April 2012
“The Mill is in a perfect location on the edge of the cute village of Hathersage. The village has a great range of shops, a butchers, bakers, grocers (very good), deli/cafe and walking shops with brnads such as North Face. For us the 3 nights were a well earned break, with relaxation being the most important thing. However, I can see that it would also be a great place to base a walking holiday.” Michelle November 2011
“10 out of 10 for the Music Mill! … it combined two things you don’t normally think of as going together…self-catering and luxury.
More than that, I think I’ll henceforth switch allegiances for future breaks to Sheepskin… personalized guide, ‘goody bag’ on arrival (top quality items in there, too), luxurious bathrobes, state-of-the-art music system (used to full adavantage on our trip) etc. – all these little things really add up. Many thanks for a really enjoyable stay… “ Fergal, July 2011
“We booked a weekend at the Music Mill, last minute through sheepskinlife. com. Amazing service from sheepskinlife. com, and the Mill was just stunning. One of the best holiday cottages I have ever rented.” Jason, July 2011
“We’ve had a thoroughly enjoyable stay here at the Music Mill, thank you, and been blessed with good weather, too. We were on Stanage Edge yesterday (we walked from the property) and the boys enjoyed finding Robin Hood’s cave. It kept their tired legs motivated!” Paul, April 2011
Paul Johnson wrote about his stay at the Music Mill on ‘a luxury travel blog’…” Self-catering is often overlooked as a luxury option, in favour of hotels and resorts, but really it shouldn’t be. The Music Mill is in a great location, particularly for outdoor enthusiasts…Returning to the accommodation, everything we could possibly want was to hand…Sheepskin goes the extra mile that you don’t normally get when renting a self-catering property.” A Luxury Travel Blog Apr 2011 Read the full article
The Music Mill Availability
As with all of our properties we are as flexible as possible with arrival date and length of stay with a minimum booking of 3 nights. However during peak holiday times this property is only available for a minimum of 7 night stays.
Please do contact us to confirm availability for the dates you are looking for.
If you want to see dates for all of our cottages, please go to our all availability page.
Please use the left and right arrows to scroll through the months.
Prices for Music Mill
|Available for short breaks year round, except for peak holiday times. Please get in touch to check these.|
|The Music Mill welcomes pets at the additional charge as below|
|pets charge £||30||per pet|
When we receive your booking form we will reserve your requested dates for 5 days and we will be in touch to confirm all the finer details with you.
If you prefer call or email:
+44 (0) 1865 764 087