The Ferry HouseLoch Creran, Port Appin near Oban, Scotland Sleeps up to 4Map of all Cottages
The Ferry House is a luxury holiday cottage in Scotland and has a chic and soothing interior design beautifully concealed within a rustic cottage exterior, as well as stunning highland views.
“I wish I could move here, I just love the interior and it is so peaceful …” Lauren, Sheepskin
Sheepskin’s first foray into Scotland is a dream realised by its owners and we think worth the wait as it is a truly unique location. On the site of the old Ferryman’s house, on the shores of Loch Creran, the Ferry House transports you to another world. A truly peaceful setting, with its own private views across the loch, its own part of the shore-line and 66 acres of fields and forest to explore.
Natural materials blend seamlessly with contemporary style to create a sumptuous and comfortable home for four people to enjoy and escape to. It is easy to feel at home here and tempting not to leave as the picture window allows you to enjoy the stunning views across the loch over to the Mountains on the Isle of Mull from everywhere in the open plan living area.
Stray out to the private beach to experience a magnificent view of highlands and the seclusion and tranquility of the location.
At a glance
- 2 king size beds
- Patio with great views
- Under-floor heating
- Log burning stove
- TV & DVD
- Vita iPod dock
- Board games
TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- No Security Deposit
- Wine cooler & microwave
- 2 travel cots & 2 booster seats
- 1 king flexes to twin
Soothing interior, rustic location...
Inside The Ferry House
- The under floor heating under the wooden floors and central heating elsewhere means you always feel warm and cosy.
- As soon as you enter, the view back to outside welcomes you in the open plan living area.
- It is tempting to get the log burner going in the lounge, sink deep into the large sofas and admire the view.
- The chic styled furniture uses lots of natural materials and so fits really well in the cottage and makes it feel very homely.
- The kitchen is in-keeping with the character and attention to detail throughout the cottage with microwave, dishwasher, a wine cooler, large fridge and freezer and all you need to cook up a feast.
- The dining table is a perfect place to sit and enjoy someone cooking a special dinner for you or to relax and watch the boats go by in the distance on the loch.
- Two double bedrooms, both with views through velux windows to the front to the loch and to the side to the trees and private grounds.
- We felt the bedrooms are both really tranquil and calming, partly by the peace of the location but also by the soothing colours. Be careful though the beds are very comfy with big soft duvets that tempt you to stay there all day!
- Two contemporary styled bathrooms; one upstairs with a ‘rain shower’ and a hand held shower and one downstairs with a large walk in shower.
- If you get your clothes messy exploring the beaches and forest there is a washing machine, iron and ironing board too.
- A beautiful home created by following a dream which will always welcome you and make you feel relaxed as soon as you arrive.
Outside The Ferry House
- The cottage sits within 66 acres of private ground including two long beaches and a forested area; giving you lots to explore in this natural adventure playground.
- There is a patio area to the front where you can sit and watch the sun go down across the loch and the highlands in the distance.
- Plenty of parking space by the side of the house.
- If you have a boat, why not bring it with you as the Ferry House has its own launch area from one of the beaches.
Things you should know
The 66 acres of private land in which the cottage sits are fenced only at the boundaries, therefore the patio and garden area around the cottage are open to the forest and down to the beach. A natural adventure playground but perhaps not perfect for toddlers.
There is wifi internet and a landline phone for emergencies and incoming calls.
Ferry House does not have a bath but has two power showers, one of which has a rain shower.
The nearest pub/restaurant is 2 miles away and the nearest shop for provisions is in Benderloch, 11 miles away so a car is essential.
Scottish Highlands & LochsMap of all Cottages
The Ferry House location
- Your own private place in the Scottish Highlands 2 hours from Glasgow: 100 miles
- Privacy and seclusion for 2 to 4 in Scotland 3 hours from Edinburgh: 131 miles
- On the shores of Loch Creran between Oban & Fort William, across from Mull.
- A 1.5hour flight from London gets you to this unique cottage
Top 10 things to do from The Ferry House
|When you book, whatever your passion just let us know, we’ll find all of the information you need and include it in your personal, tailored guide sent to you before you arrive.|
Call or email us to find out more:
Without leaving Ferry House…
The Ferry House has spectacular views across peaceful Loch Creran and the Scottish Highlands; perfect for wildlife spotting and bird watching. Catch a glimpse as the ferry silently glides through the loch.
Visit the beach…
Just 20 metres from the door, meander through the trees from the Ferry House cottage to your own private beach with wonderful views across the loch to the Highlands. Alongside the drive there is another private beach strewn with fascinating rocks and shells, great for exploring…
Walk from the door
Being directly on the Loch Creran there are some great walks straight out of the door from the Ferry House. It is easy to find circular walks even within the private 66 acres which take in a little (or a lot depending how you feel) of the loch and then circle back towards the house taking some great photographs along the way.
Hire a bike
The Ferry House is situated in the Scottish Highlands near the new Caledonia Way Cycle Track route 78. The cycling here is ideal for families or serious cyclists, you can meander through the forests and glens or set your own pace beside the lochs. Hire a bike at RCS Cycles that can be delivered and collected from Ferry House, near Port Appin.
Though The Ferry House is peaceful and secluded just 3.5 miles from the cottage is the Creagan Inn. Serving traditional pub grub along with a few Scottish delights; Haggis and Loch Creran oysters. Enjoy the panoramic views of the loch from the decking outside on a warm summers evening with a Scottish Malt Whisky in hand…
Hikers Day Out
Fort William is an important centre for hill walking and climbing in Scotland due to its proximity to Ben Nevis and the Munro mountains. Fort William lies near the head of Scotland’s longest sea loch, Loch Linnhe, beside the mouth of the rivers Nevis and Lochy. A fantastic area to visit for the day and explore from The Ferry House.
Go Horse Riding
Lettershuna Riding Centre is a well established riding centre near Oban, Scotland, specialising in supervised riding and trekking excursions in the Appin area. They have a selection of well-schooled horses and ponies for hacking and trekking just half an hour drive from Ferry House.
The Ferry House press
The Ferry House has been recognised by guests and press alike.
Here is a selection of press articles in which The Ferry House has been featured…
The Ferry House is a haven in which to relax and recharge: a place to drink in the stunning views, breathe in the crisp, cool air and savour the quiet serenity.
We stayed in a beautiful cottage with its own private beach near Oban and although it rained (a lot), it was absolutely stunning.
The Ferry House reviews
The Ferry House joined Sheepskin in June 2012 after being completely re-built and refurbished by Catherine and Rob, its owners. Brought up in the area Rob has long dreamed of creating a home on the site of the Old Ferry House and now he has fulfilled his dream.
Having stayed there in the peaceful surrounds with fantastic views across Loch Creran and enjoying the comfortable home that they have created in this rugged landscape we think it has been well worth the wait…
Don’t take our word for it though, why not experience it for yourself and be one of he first guests to write a review about the Ferry House…
“I’m back home again after a fabulous holiday at the Ferry House. I really wanted to thank you for all you have done to help make our week absolutely perfect.
I would like to say that Sheepskin is in a league of its own, way above all the other agencies that I have dealt with in the past.
Sheepskin has such an attention to detail and style, starting with your fantastic website and the way you present your properties, to the personal one-to-one approach you have, to the superb guide book with it’s great layout and design, to the incredible Sheepskin jute bag packed with fabulous goodies, dealing with Sheepskin makes one really feel special. It has been a pleasure to have met such a professional company. I have really appreciated your work.
The Ferry House was just as I had imagined a place of peace and tranquility. Very comfortable in every way and in an ideal location. Secluded but within easy reach of loads of places to visit. As we wrote in the guest book, the Ferry House filled our eyes, our hearts and our souls! We are already thinking of booking it again for next year. Thank you once again.” Alex from Italy
The Ferry House availability
We are as flexible as possible with arrival date and length of stay.
We have a minimum booking of 3 nights and, during peak holiday times, a minimum of 7 night stays.
The preferred arrival day for The Ferry House is Friday.
Our calendars are up to date at the end of each working day. Do feel free to get in touch if you would like to check any dates with us or ask anything before you make your decision.
Call, email or fill out our booking form, whichever you prefer and we will be in touch to confirm all of the details with you.
Bookings are subject to availability and treated on a first come first served basis. If you want to be sure to reserve the dates you want and you’re searching outside of office hours filling out our form is the best way.
If you want to see dates for all of our cottages, please go to our availability page.
Please use the left and right arrows to scroll through the months.
Prices for The Ferry House
We’re here to take the hassle away from booking and planning your holiday.
Like life but better…
Most importantly there are no hidden extras, the price below includes everything from tea towels to bath towels, utilities of course and essential extras such as logs for the fire.
The price also includes ‘Special touches’ like your guide tailored sent to you to help you plan your holiday, sumptuous Sheepskin bathrobes and a welcome hamper.
We want you to relax and enjoy your holiday so no security deposit to worry about either. This works because our guests are like our owners they respect and appreciate beautiful places and other people’s precious homes.
Accidents do happen and if damage does occur during your stay we will ask for reasonable contribution towards the cost of repairs or replacements.
Please read our user-friendly terms and conditions for more information and which by confirming your booking you are agreeing to.
|Ferry House sleeps||4 people|
|The Ferry House is available for short breaks, (minimum 3 nights) except for peak holiday times.|
|Please click here to see details of peak times|
Like life but even better… if you’ve stayed with Sheepskin within the last 6 months and are booking ‘off-peak’ for 5 nights or more we will reduce the standard rate by 10% for you.
When we receive your booking form we will reserve your requested dates for 5 days and we will be in touch to confirm all the finer details with you.
If you prefer call or email:
+44 (0) 1865 764 087