Shell HousePorlock Weir, Exmoor, Devon Sleeps up to 10Map of all Cottages
Enjoy special times in this incredible luxury, family beach house with stunning coastal views, a pearl amongst the pebbles. From this spectacular coastal and contemporary, private house you can watch tides turn, boats bob and people pass.
“… a truly fabulous house in such a beautiful location.” Unnati
Shell House offers the best of seaside chic and country living nestled where the rolling hills of Exmoor fall into the sea making a huge beach of silver pebbles creased by the inlet of Porlock Weir. The tide reflects the lazy routine of this sleepy place, like your own deep, relaxed breathes the location really does encourage you to do nothing all day and then rest afterwards.
Like the shells on the beach, Shell House is a combination of strong features, ornamentation and delicate coastal colours. This luxury holiday house by the sea is stylish yet practical making it perfect for a relaxing luxury family holiday.
It’s architecturally striking and finished with attention to detail in a distinctive style making it a memorable location for a special celebration or group get together. This is a special place to stay that makes you feel like you have privileged access to live here as the locals do, tucked away and undisturbed by the visitors who come during the day. You’ll find lots of outdoor activities nearby but it is easy and tempting just to take some ‘me time’ and relax in the natural light that floods the living space.
One of the Independent’s 50 Best Holiday Cottages…
and one of The Observer’s 10 super cottages. Read review…
At a glance
BEST FOR… Contemporary coastal WOW house for up to 10
LOCALLY… Porlock Weir beach, restaurants & Exmoor
STYLE… Seaside chic meets French antique
- Master king ensuite with harbour views
- Master has patio door to garden + truckle bed for children
- Spacious upstairs king ensuite
- 2 king ground floor rooms
- Main bathroom & separate cloak
- Light & airy open plan living
- Large & stylish kitchen
- Two patio gardens
- Log burning stove & underfloor heating
- Additional annex available
- Cinema/games room in annex
- Ensuite twin room with patio doors to garden
- Spectacular space for 8
- Spacious for up to 10 with annex
- B&W iPod dock
- Sat TV & DVD and board games
- All beds with TV
- WIFI internet
- Games room in annex with Table tennis, pool table & TV
TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Washing machine
- Parking for 2 cars at gate
- No Security Deposit
- Great for bigger kids
- Plenty of space for cots
- extra 2 single beds in master
- Enclosed patio garden
- Enclosed lawned garden to front
- Twin room & games room
First-class coastal splendour
Inside Shell House
- Wonderfully light and airy, this spectacular seaside property, sitting right on the beach, has a contemporary open plan living area with views across the harbour.
- The lavish open plan kitchen has a huge range cooker, enormous fridge freezer and dishwasher. A space that any chef will be envious of.
- The breakfast bar is a great for spectators to chat whilst you create of for informal meals.
- The open plan kitchen and living area makes the house a really sociable space for 8-10 to relax and celebrate special times together.
- Gorgeous, stylish and sumptuous sofas arranged to enjoy the contemporary log burner.
- Let the outside in and open the huge glass doors onto the spacious balcony taking in the sea view across the garden from the dining table.
- Lounge in the enclosed garden or BBQ watching boats bob in the harbour.
- When you have tired yourselves out or want space just for you; four individual and impressive bedrooms each with king sized beds and their own TVs.
- The opulent space of the master bedroom, has an additional single (truckle) bed, (useful for twin beds for children) and still space for a travel cot. The en-suite shower room is large and luxurious. A relaxing space with the french doors, opening to the garden and view to the sea, flooding the room with natural light.
- The spacious bedroom upstairs has an en-suite and a view to the harbour through Velux windows. You’ll be tempted to dim the lights and spend more time that you should in the bath in the en-suite shower room.
- Two further king size rooms each have french doors onto the enclosed patio garden at the side of the house and share a large main bathroom.
- If you need even more space for living or perhaps a couple more comfortable beds for people to lay their heads on, Shell House has a huge hidden away annex which contains a twin ensuite bedroom, with glass doors looking across the garden to the harbor, and downstairs a ‘cinema’ and games room.
- Shell House makes a perfect location for large family groups.
Outside Shell House
- From this coastal UK paradise, lounge with family and friends on the patio close to the waters edge.
- Retreat for some quiet time to the little wooden gazebo and sit and watch the hustle of the harbour.
- Take time out of the sea breeze to a more sheltered and private patio to the side of the house.
- Stroll to great eating places in Porlock Weir village 5 minutes walk away.
- Step out of the garden gate onto the coastal path or down onto Porlock Weir beach.
- Wander behind the house up into the woods and hills of Exmoor.
Things you should know
Porlock Weir is quite popular during the day being a picturesque place with good eating places, walks on the beach or onto Exmoor and great surfing. Shell House sits at the end of a private road at the very end of the village with its own private parking.
A foot path passes in front of the garden and opposite the front door are a row of small shops on the harbour front.
If you book the annex the cinema/games room is accessed via the twin bedroom.
Mobile reception is patchy in the house but fine just outside. There is WIFI internet at Shell House.
Pets will be accepted at Shell House subject to a security deposit being paid. Please ask for more detail.
Where Exmoor meets the seaMap of all Cottages
Shell House location
- Exmoor hills and coastal walks 4 hours from London: 187 miles
- A ‘Wow’ house worth the 4.5 hour drive from Manchester: 182 miles
- On the north coast of Exmoor so with easy access great beaches and specatular countryside.
- In a quiet cul-de-sac at the end of Porlock Weir village
Top 10 things to do at Shell House...
|When you book, whatever your passion just let us know, we’ll find all of the information you need and include it in your personal, tailored guide sent to you before you arrive.|
Call or email us to find out more:
Luxury Organic spa treatments in the comfort of your own holiday cottage…
Spend the day at the Beach
Porlock Weir Beach is the closest to Shell House and is a 4 mile long pebbly beach. There is fabulous marshland behind the beach which is home to numerous birds. It is popular for swimming, fishing, surfing and sailing and its size means that you can always find a quiet spot.
A section of the South West Coastal path, where two rivers meet…
Less than 0.25 miles from Shell House is The Bottom Ship Inn. A great pub that offers an extensive menu with constantly changing specials, most of the food is home cooked and all produce is locally sourced. There is a seating area on the front where you can watch the people passing by in the harbour.
Local produce for a night in…
1.5 miles from Shell House is Clive Down Butchers a traditional family butcher who sells locally sourced meats and award winning pies and sausages made from family recipes.
Fancy a Cinema Evening?
If you fancy a cinema evening there is a separate hidden away ‘home-cinema’ room with an extensive dvd collection. Here you will also find a small pool table. So no matter the weather, you should find plenty to entertain you inside Shell House.
9.5 miles from Shell House is Dunster, a lovely historic village in Exmoor National Park. It has more than 200 listed historic buildings including the National Trust 11th Century Dunster Castle and the Old Yarn Market in the middle of the High Street.
Take a Boat Trip
Exmoor Coastal Boat Trips have daily sailings from Lynmouth that take you to see the sea birds on the cliffs and isolated bays nearby. You may be lucky enough to see seals and dolphins in the strong currents.
Surfing and Kite Surfing
There is plenty of good surfing in North Devon. Lynmouth and Westward Ho! are popular with locals and keen outsiders. For great surfing and particularly if you are looking for instruction or to hire equipment you need to travel a little bit further, the most popular beaches for surfing are Woolacombe and Croyde.
For the more adventurous there is so much to do near all of our properties. From fishing and mountain biking to caving and coasteering…
Shell House press
Shell House has been recognised by guests and press alike.
Here is a selection of press articles in which Shell House has been featured…
Red Kite Tree Tent – One of the most innovative low-impact accommodation ideas around
Conde Nast covered our photography workshops at Shell House…
The Observer chose Shell House as one of its 10 super cottages. “spectacular location with luxurious facilities…architecturally striking…kingsize beds, iPod docking stations plus a cinema room.”
Shell House Reviews
“Thank you for sharing your home with us, it was amazing and we had the best Christmas ever. Your home is beautiful.” Jack Family
“A wonderful holiday home, fantastic. We will be back.” John & Karen
“We had a fantastic time at here at Shell House despite some patchy weather.” Rarity, Gillespie & Funnell families.
“We certainly did have a wonderful stay at Shell House, it exceeded even my high expectations. The house was absolutely stunning, much larger than I had imagined and the views were spectacular.There was certainly something for everyone, some of us walked (a gorgeous coastal walk to the little church nearby, then further on up), some went to Dunster Castle, some on to Exmoor. Of course a lot of the time we just enjoyed being in Porlock Weir and taking in the local atmosphere. My parents are still talking about it so all in all a very successful 3 days and I’m certainly looking forward to more time in a Sheepskin location!” Nick
“Just a quick note to say that we have had a lovely time at Shell House. The house itself was beautiful and luxurious! I have to mention too that the service from sheepskin was excellent and we were truly made to feel special” – Peter
“We had an excellent time! We all loved our stay at Shell House, it offered everything we could possibly need and it was the perfect size for the whole family! The beautiful location of Porlock Weir surpassed our expectations.
I thank you for your excellent customer service and especially the additional balloons which had been added to our collection, and were there to cheerily greet my parents in the hallway!” – Alison
“We have just returned from a most enjoyable stay at Shell House. It is a truly fabulous house in such a beautiful location. We really did enjoy ourselves…and definitely all the kids did! We really enjoyed both the experience of dealing with Sheepskin and the house itself.” Unnati
“Our stay at Shell House was absolutely perfect – the weather was great the views wonderful and both Andrews restaurant and Millers were very good and right on the doorstep. We would have no hesitation in recommending Sheepskin and hope we can use your holiday homes in the future.” Catherine
“A rare gem, fantastic setting for our much needed break before we have our first baby in the new year. Thank you for a lovely stay.” Jon & Madeline
“Congratulations in creating such a fantastic coastal getaway” David & Veronica
“So restful and so convenient, we hardly used the car at all” Ben & Sally
“Our friends were so impressed with our choice of cottage, they’ve asked us to organise the next one!” Alison & Martyn
Shell House Availability
We are as flexible as possible with arrival date and length of stay.
We have a minimum booking of 3 nights and 7 nights during peak holiday times.
Our calendars are up to date at the end of each working day.
Bookings are subject to availability and on a first come first served basis. To reserve the dates you want completing our booking form is the fastest way.
To check any dates or details before making your decision just get in touch. Call, email or fill out our booking form, whichever you prefer.
To see dates for all cottages, please go to our availability page.
Please use the left and right arrows to scroll through the months.
Prices for Shell House
We’re here to take the hassle away from booking and planning your holiday.
No hidden extras…
our prices include everything from tea towels to bath towels
and special extras such as logs for the fire, bathrobes and a welcome hamper there when you arrive.
The price also includes your tailored guide to help plan your holiday.
We know that you respect and appreciate beautiful places and other people’s precious homes so…
Relax and enjoy your holiday with no security deposit to worry about.
Accidents do happen and if damage does occur during your stay we ask for a reasonable contribution towards the cost of repairs or replacements.
Please read our user-friendly terms and conditions which, by confirming your booking, you agree to.
|Shell House sleeps||8 people|
|Shell House to sleep up to 10||adding annex (cinema /games room + twin ensuite bedroom)|
|Available for short breaks, (min 3 nights) year round, except for peak holiday times.|
|Friday is preferred arrival day. Please ask us about bringing pets to Shell House|
Come back soon… Stay again with Sheepskin, within 6 months, booking ‘off-peak’ for 5 nights or more and we’ll reduce the standard rate by 10% for you.
|Shell House to sleep up to 4||a special off-peak rate|
When we receive your booking form we will reserve your requested dates for 5 days and we will be in touch to confirm all the finer details with you.
If you prefer call or email:
+44 (0) 1865 764 087