Red Kite Tree Tentnear Builth Wells, Powys, Wales Sleeps up to 2Map of all Cottages
An Amazing Space in an inspiring location for a unique luxury ‘camping’ experience…
This fascinating place is the UK’s first ever tree tent!
The construction of the tree tent at Red Kite Barn was featured on George Clarke’s Amazing spaces, on Channel 4, to the delight of a very impressed George Clarke!
The Tree Tent is a lightweight, hybrid Aluminium and ‘steam bent, green ash’ static airframe. Sounds complex but the important thing is it is a beautiful structure inside & out. The design of the tent enables minimal impact living in the trees and a stunning structure which somehow manages to blend with its natural environment.
The spherical structure is 3m in diameter and hangs between the trees with an ingenious rigging system. Red Kite Tree Tent hidden in the trees within the extensive woodlands surrounding another of our cottages, Red Kite Barn, though is completely separate and private from the Barn.
The interior is clever too, the cosy space is sizeable enough to comfortably accommodate two adults. With its quirky and clever interior design there is even space for the essential log burning stove.
Thick wool felt, thermal liners allow for pretty much all year round ‘glamping’ particularly when you have the wood stove going.
Facilities include a shower & wc, double bed that folds away, log burning stove in the tent and fire pit by the stream which has been built into the decking.
Summer 2014 has very limited availability now, but we will gladly hold your dates for 2015.
Please do contact us to confirm availability for the dates you are looking for.
If you want to see dates for all of our properties, please go to our all availability page.
Use the left and right arrows to scroll through the months.
|View a map of the site layout here…|
At a glance
BEST FOR… A unique glamping experience close to nature
LOCALLY… Wild swimming, woods & hills to explore
STYLE… Rustic inspired by nature
- Compact & cosy ‘pod’ suspended in the trees
- Spherical living, sleeping space with views of the valley
- Double bed folds away to a sofa for daytime relaxing
- Raised wooden deck with outdoor kitchen & shower
- A real loo hidden in the trees
- Electric power for your gadgets
- Log burning stove inside the pod to keep you cosy
- The Tree Tent itself
- Fire pit
- The night sky!
TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Welcome hamper of glamping essentials
- A camping fridge, kettle & hob
- No security deposit
- Private parking a short walk from the tent
- Unusual & unique escape for two
- Those seeking experience & adventure
Clever design, simple & cosy
Inside Red Kite Tree Tent
- An intriguing and ingenious design inside and out.
- The relatively small living space of the tree tent (3m diameter) is designed to accommodate two adults in comfort.
- The double bed, with the potential for an amazing view from the side window, folds away to make a sofa for use during the day or evening.
- The bed will already be made when you arrive and, as you would expect with Sheepskin, there’ll be little extras like a special welcome hamper.
- The log burner is a lovely, unexpected luxury for camping in the trees but no Sheepskin ‘cottage’ would be complete without one!
- There is storage under the floor of the tent for your belongings should you wish to tuck them away.
- Keep warm and relax on the sofa by the log burner overlooking the water.
- There is electric power to the Tree Tent so lighting is fully electric and dimmable no less!
- If you need gadgets or to work during your stay the desk with power socket will come in handy too.
Outside Red Kite Tree Tent
- The Tree Tent hangs in the trees, hidden away within the extensive woodland which belong to Red Kite Barn.
- Access to the Tree Tent will be over a small bridge and then onto a raised platform.
- On the raised wooden platform you find the entrance to the tent as well as bathroom facilities such as wood fired shower, toilet & sink.
- You can see planned the layout of the interior & exterior of the Tree Tent in the gallery images.
- Below the Tree Tent by the stream a seating deck will make the perfect place to sit by an outdoor fire as the sun goes down.
- As with Red Kite Barn itself you are free to wander and explore the 80 acres including a dip in the natural plunge pool!
Things you should know
Red Kite Tree Tent is very different from all other Sheepskin Cottages but is still an absolutely unique and special experience.
This is luxurious, cool camping, private facilities include; the tent itself for sleeping and relaxing indoors, an outdoor seating area, an outdoor gas powered shower, a sink & flushing loo no less!
The site has solar electricity; lighting & power are available in the tent.
Red Kite Tree Tent is within the same, extensive area of woodland (80 acres) as Red Kite Barn but the whole intention of both places is for guests to enjoy privacy and a distinct sense of seclusion. They share the same main gate entrance but are hidden from each other as much as possible given all guests can roam the woodland and surrounding National Trust land. We ask that guests of either the barn or the tent try not to intrude on each others ‘areas’ of the woodland (unless you have booked together of course!)
It is possible to rent the Red Kite Barn and Tree Tent together if you wish though they are separated from each other.
Mobiles reception is poor depending on your network, but you can get a signal at the gate to Red Kite Barn and back at the main road (~1.5miles).
There are no internet facilities.
Pets unfortunately can’t be accepted at Red Kite Tree Tent.
Woodland and streams to explore
Red Kite Tree Tent top things to do…
- Explore the extensive forests and stream of Red Kite’s private woodland that you see from the tent window.
- Once you leave the 80 acres of Red Kite Barn and Red Kite Tree Tent, you are then in National Trust Woodland.
- Great for twitchers with Red Kites, Barn Owls, Woodpeckers, Cuckoos and Swallows all regular visitors.
- With only the light created from the barn to pollute the night sky, this is a perfect retreat for amateur astronomers.
- Enjoy outdoor activities; pony trekking, mountain biking, walking and fishing in the local area.
- Walk across the fields or meander down the lane to the oldest pub in Powys, The Red Lion at Llanafan-fawr (3 miles) for a hearty meal and guest ales.
- At Newbridge on Wye the New Inn (4 miles) is a good, local ale pub with the owner’s award-winning sausages featuring on the menu and in their rare breeds butcher shop next door too.
- Visit the historic market town of Builth Wells, famed for the annual Royal Welsh Show (July) and with events such as the Spring festival in May.
- Discover picturesque Elan Valley and the town of Rhayader as a base for organised outdoor pursuits or for the Landed music festival in May.
If you want to know more about what’s happening nearby throughout the year, follow the links below.
|When you book, whatever your passion just let us know, we’ll find all of the information you need and include it in your personal, tailored guide sent to you before you arrive.|
Call or email us to find out more:
Amongst the trees...Map of all Cottages
Red Kite Tree Tent location
- Red Kite Tree Tent is hidden away within the extensive woodlands belonging to Red Kite Barn
- The intention is that both places have complete privacy and seclusion, they share the same main gate entrance but are hidden from each other as much as possible given all guests can roam the grounds & surrounding National Trust land.
- One of George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces hidden in the trees within 4 hours of London, approx distance: 195 miles
- Escape for quirky, luxury, camping within 3 hours from Manchester, approx distance: 135 miles
- Down a 2 mile single track, off the B4358 near Builth Wells and Llanafan-fawr
- The track keeps you guessing until you reach the bridge over the stream and then you will not be disappointed…
Red Kite Tree Tent press
Red Kite Tree Tent has been recognised by guests and press alike.
Here is a selection of press articles in which Red Kite Tree Tent has been featured…
An article about the owners of Red Kite Barn and The Tree Tents and their ambitious building projects…
Article about Red Kite Tree Tent
…cosy bolthole meets Animals of Farthing Wood.
Red Kite Barn among the worlds top tree-house hotels on Departures Website…
UK Travel Blog spotted our launch of the UK’s first Tree Tent…
Britain’s campsite portfolio is bursting with all sorts of offerings, from ‘glamping’ tents to tree houses… but never before have the two been combined.
…opening of the UK’s first ‘tree tent’ in Powys, Wales.
Red Kite Tree Tent – offers all perks of other posh camping structures, but a few metres above the ground.
The tree house with a twist, is set high among the trees within 80 acres of woodland…
Red Kite Tree Tent Reviews
The first Tree Tent in the UK opened it’s ‘door’s to Sheepskin guests in April 2013. Many have enjoyed the unique experience in this quirky space.
The Tree House is in a lovely setting and the facilities and finishing touches were all spot on – you have done a wonderful job. The hampers went down a treat. We particularly enjoyed eating the tapas sharing selection beside the fire pit on Friday evening. We have recommended the Tree Tent to lots of people since we got back home and hopefully we will get the opportunity to come and stay again in the future.
Ella & Scott, April ’14
We had an amazing weekend at Red Kite Tree Tent! The tent itself was fab, the wood burning stove is a touch of genius and the owners really have thought of everything we might have needed while we were there. The best thing was the location – completely isolated, complete seclusion and beautiful scenery. We didn’t see another soul until we walked to the pub! Lynsey & Rob, May ‘13
“just to say we had an amazing time in Wales in the tree tent was such a unique experience! Thank you so much for your efforts to make our stay the best it could be” Chantelle and Dan, May ’13
“I hope to come back to stay in the Tree Tent next year .. best birthday ever….my misses went to a lot of trouble with everything, couldn’t of asked for a better person to share that with.” Andrew April ’13
Red Kite Tree Tent availability
We are as flexible as possible with arrival date and length of stay.
We have a minimum booking of 2 nights for The Red Kite Tree Tent.
Our calendars are up to date at the end of each working day.
Bookings are subject to availability and on a first come first served basis. To reserve the dates you want completing our booking form is the fastest way.
Summer 2014 has limited availability now, but we will gladly hold your dates for 2015.
To check any dates or details before making your decision just get in touch. Call, email or fill out our booking form, whichever you prefer.
To see dates for all properties, please go to our availability page.
Please use the left and right arrows to scroll through the months.
Prices for Red Kite Tree Tent
We’re here to take the hassle away from booking and planning your holiday.
No hidden extras…
our prices include everything from tea towels to bath towels
and special extras such as logs for the fire and a ‘glamping’ welcome hamper there when you arrive.
The price also includes your tailored guide to help plan your holiday.
We know that you respect and appreciate beautiful places and other people’s precious homes so…
Relax and enjoy your holiday with no security deposit to worry about.
Accidents do happen and if damage does occur during your stay we ask for a reasonable contribution towards the cost of repairs or replacements.
Please read our user-friendly terms and conditions which, by confirming your booking, you agree to.
|Red Kite Tree Tent is available for short breaks year round.|
When we receive your booking form we will reserve your requested dates for 5 days and we will be in touch to confirm all the finer details with you.
If you prefer call or email:
+44 (0) 1865 764 087