Red Kite Barnnear Builth Wells, Powys, Wales Sleeps up to 6Map of all Cottages
Named after the soaring Red Kites that sweep majestically above the barn & its private forest.
A magnificent barn rescued from nature and restored using traditional techniques by its creative owners who are passionate about architecture and environmental techniques. They brought experiences from their London home (featured on Grand Designs) to unexpected surroundings and it worked! The barn was deservedly shortlisted for a RIBA in 2013.
Veiled by the green rolling hills and 80 acres of private countryside, the contemporary interior of the barn draws colour & materials from its natural surroundings yet enjoys urban twists such as funky LED lighting and a large projector screen. Details such as bespoke ironmongery on handcrafted oak doors and cosy bathrooms with tadelackt floors warm under foot, will not be missed by lovers of design
Red Kite Barn is a magical holiday home for those seeking seclusion, individual style and uninterrupted views.
A contemporary take on rustic blending traditional materials with elegant Tadleackt walls and onrmanents from the owners’ travels in Morocco. Natural light floods the open plan living area upstairs through panoramic windows giving extensive views of the quiet valley and your neighbours – sheep, whose wool fills the walls to keep you warm.
After a day of exploring enjoy a pleasant supper and evening around the rustic dining table seated on rescued chapel pews.
Retire, down the bespoke oak stair, to the sanctuary of the ground floor bedrooms appointed with original beds from the Savoy hotel and enjoy a bath heated by the ground source heat pumps which power the building.
Red Kite Barn is a unique and special place and, not surprisingly, always popular.
Another ‘Amazing Space’ Red Kite Tree Tent is available in the forest that surrounds the barn. Both properties are completely separate and private from each other.
at a glance
BEST FOR… Romantics, rural retreat with family & friends
LOCALLY… Private & NT forests, outdoor activities
STYLE… Architectural, eclectic, warm
- 1 king, 1 king (ensuite)
- 1 twin / king
- Log burner
- Under-floor heating
- Feature fires in bedrooms
- Open plan living
- 80 acres private forest
- large screen projection TV & DVD
- iPod dock & radio
- Board games & books
- WIFI internet
TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Beds made for arrival
- Towels, handsoap and bathrobes provided
- Welcome hamper of cooking essentials
- Logs for the fire
- Washer & dryer
- Wine fridge
- No Security Deposit
- Yes & ideal for romantics too
- Best for bigger kids
- Forested grounds & stream
Truly a grand design
Inside Red Kite Barn
- Open plan living area with a modern, well-equipped kitchen.
- Large rustic dining table taking advantage of the views.
- Large, light & warm living space upstairs with oak flooring, beams and architect designed staircase.
- Listen and relax to your music on the Vita iPod dock & radio.
- This space can be whatever you like, a romantic space with the log fire glowing, a sociable space with the lights bright to match the mood or a cinema room.
- Downstairs 3 unique bedrooms and two bathrooms with hand polished tadelackt floors and walls.
- The king size bedroom with its art deco head board, has an indulgent en-suite with an illuminated rain shower over the Moroccan bath. Cuddle up here by the light of the feature fire.
- The second king size bedroom has lots of space and an ethanol burning contemporary fire which gives a wonderful warmth and light.
- The third bedroom can be made up as a twin or a king size, making it a useful space for kids.
- Each bedroom has its own door to outside, with shuttered door window.
- Contemporary family bathroom with a free standing bath and hand shower. The colour of the clever LED lights can be changed to set the mood or just for a bit of fun.
- There is an additional cloak room on the ground floor too.
- As always towels & Sheepskin bathrobes will be there for you too.
- The underfloor heating throughout the house and water are heated by geothermal boreholes outside.
Outside Red Kite Barn
- Enjoy this private location; a secluded setting with lots to explore within 80 acres of private forest.
- The raised courtyard to the front of the Barn is perfect for alfresco dining with wonderful views of the valley and forest. Day or night it’s a wonderful place to spend time but particularly at night to be mesmerised by the stars in the night sky.
- The private grounds make a natural adventure playground for kids. Although the 80 acres of grounds are fenced this is a large area to discover and explore so we would recommend Red Kite Barn is not ideal for toddlers who may have a tendency to wander.
- This detached house is ideal for groups of friends, couples or families.
Things you should know
The first mile of the single track is tarmac however the last 0.5 miles or so is a gravel road with some potholes. Not an issue at all for normal cars, a low sports car may struggle.
Mobiles reception is poor depending on your network. We get signal by the gate & 30m or so above the barn. There is a landline phone for emergencies and incoming calls.
Although this isn’t a “not spot”, Wifi at The Barn runs on rural broadband connections, so may not be as quick or robust as your home package: it’s suitable for web browsing and e-mails.
The nearest pub the oldest pub in Powys – the Red Lion is 3 miles away and a small shop 4 miles away so a car is essential.
Open to guests in March – November is Red Kite Tree Tent. The Tree tent is hidden in the trees within Red Kite Barn’s 80 acres. The intention is that both the barn and tent have complete privacy and seclusion, they share the same main gate entrance but are hidden from each other as much as possible given all guests can roam the 80 acres.
It is possible to book the barn and the tree tent if you so wish.
Private outdoor space to enjoy
There’s lots to do out and about from Red Kite Barn here are our favourites…
- Walk from the front door to explore the extensive forests and stream of Red Kite Barn’s own grounds. You are surrounded by National Trust woodland and farmer’s fields
- Great for twitchers with Red Kites, Barn Owls, Woodpeckers, Cuckoos and Swallows all regular visitors.
- Enjoy outdoor activities; pony trekking, mountain biking, walking and fishing from the door of Red Kite Barn.
|If you want more ideas of what there is to do nearby follow the links below or have a look at our suggested itinerary for Red Kite Barn.|
When you book, whatever your passion just let us know, we’ll find the information you need and include it in your guide sent to you before you arrive.
Call or email us to find out more:
01865 764087, firstname.lastname@example.org
Really treat yourself with a personal chef to create a special dinner for you at Red Kite barn…
Explore unspoilt Elan valley…
Discover picturesque Elan Valley and the town of Rhayader as a base for organised outdoor pursuits
Award winning sausages…
At Newbridge-on-Wye the New Inn (4 miles) is a good, local ale pub with the owner’s award-winning sausages featuring on the menu and in their rare breeds butcher shop next door too.
Luxury Organic spa treatments in the comfort of your own holiday cottage…
at Red Kite Barn
Enjoy private views of peaceful countryside and get close to nature.
For the more adventurous there is so much to do near all of our properties. From fishing and mountain biking to caving and coasteering…
You can see Red Kites soaring above Red Kite Barn and watch them being fed at Gigrin Farm
Walk across the fields or meander down the lane for hearty food and real ale at the Red Lion at Llanafan-fawr (3 miles) for a hearty meal and guest ales.
Red Kite Barn a unique base to visit historic market town of Builth Wells & The Royal Welsh Show in July
3 days of fantastic music at Landed festival, in May nr Red Kite Barn
Red Kite Barn press
Red Kite Barn has been recognised by guests and press alike.
Here is a selection of press articles in which Red Kite Barn has been featured…
An article about the owners of Red Kite Barn and The Tree Tents and their ambitious building projects…
One of the most mesmerising sights on Earth is the night sky, you don’t have to venture to the world’s remotest places to experience dark sky oases several national parks offer superb stellar vistas…
Red Kite Barn one of 20 gorgeous group getaways.
…with a house as chic and cosy as this, we don’t think you’ll want to leave…
…sweeping views, soothing massages and awesome birds of prey are just some of the delights to distract you at luxury Red Kite Barn.
Sheepskin and Red Kite Barn recommended by The Guardian…
Red Kite Barn Reviews
Painstakingly restored by the owners who fell in love with this secluded barn and wanted to to create a unique and comfortable holiday home.
“Thank you for making our honeymoon extra relaxing and special, the surroundings are incredible and The Barn pure luxury. We had an amazing time and will be back!” Mark & Sara Jan 15
“It’s been such a privilege to stay in a conversion so elegantly designed and beautifully executed. We were attracted by the surrounding hills and peaceful environment, the barn itself has been a revelation. It has been like staying in a luxury private spa hotel every feature and every surface so well thought through. We didn’t want to leave! Thanks for making it available – we will be back”. Liz & Janet, New Year 15
“We chose Red Kite Barn because we love beautiful, wild and remote places and it fits that bill perfectly. Our girls loved the freedom to roam outside, the pool table and cinema screen. The top floor is a really great living and eating space. It manages to be both spacious and cosy: a perfect escape from our hectic lives. There was lots to do in the local area (Talgarth Mill, Elan Valley and a day flying birds of prey were all highlights). Thanks for a wonderful week.” Jacqui and family Oct, 14
“We wanted to relax before heading off on our honeymoon part 2! The Barn is beautiful, we loved all the beautiful furnishings; the bath was gorgeous as were the showers – every detail thought of. The surroundings are spectacular. It’s wonderful waking up in the morning & having breakfast whilst admiring the view. The Sheepskin extra’s were great – yummy fudge cookies. Thank you all for a lovely stay.” Nick & Gemma Oct, 14
“Unbelievable location and amazing barn. Beautiful weather. A trip around the Elon Valley is a must. The Drawing Room, Builth Wells for a truly fantastic evening. Wonderful place.” May 2014
Came for Valentines and our 2 yr anniversary. With crazy weather the plan was always to spend the time relaxing indoors. A beautiful space with amazing views. Can well recommend the butchers at New Inn at Newbridge-on-Wye. Thanks and can’t wait to come again. Feb 14
Had an amazing honeymoon, its so peaceful here! Had a few issues but they were resolved really quickly considering the isolation of the place. Thanks for a relaxing week! Jan 14
Red Kite Barn availability
We are as flexible as possible with arrival date and length of stay.
We have a minimum booking of 3 nights and 7 nights during peak holiday times.
Our calendars are up to date at the end of each working day.
Bookings are subject to availability and on a first come first served basis. To reserve the dates you want completing our booking form is the fastest way.
To check any dates or details before making your decision just get in touch. Call, email or fill out our booking form, whichever you prefer.
To see dates for all cottages, please go to our availability page.
Please use the left and right arrows to scroll through the months.
Prices for Red Kite Barn
No hidden extras…
This price still includes everything from tea towels to bath towels
and special extras such as logs for the fire, bathrobes and a welcome hamper there when you arrive.
The price also includes your tailored guide to help plan your holiday.
We know that you respect and appreciate beautiful places and other people’s precious homes so…
Relax and enjoy your holiday with no security deposit to worry about.
Accidents do happen and if damage does occur during your stay we ask for a reasonable contribution towards the cost of repairs or replacements.
Please read our user-friendly terms and conditions which, by confirming your booking, you agree to.
|Red Kite Barn sleeps||6 people|
|Available for short breaks, (min 3 nights) year round, except for peak holiday times, when the minimum is 7.|
|Outside of peak holiday times Red Kite Barn can be made available just for two to enjoy for a special treat at a very special rate below…|
|2 person rate £||630||795||955||1115||1200|
|Red Kite Barn welcomes pets at the additional charge as below|
|Pet charge £||30||per pet.|
|Do contact us if you have more than 2 dogs|
Come back soon… Stay again with Sheepskin, within 6 months, booking ‘off-peak’ for 5 nights or more and we’ll reduce the standard rate by 10% for you.
When we receive your booking form we will reserve your requested dates for 5 days and we will be in touch to confirm all the finer details with you.
If you prefer call or email:
+44 (0) 1865 764 087