Red Kite Barnnear Builth Wells, Powys, Wales Sleeps up to 6
Named after the soaring Red Kites that hover majestically. Quite simply a unique luxury holiday home for those seeking seclusion, nature’s sounds and uninterrupted views.
“I can only describe it as an idyllic hideaway in the middle of the forest, truly the most peaceful location, I’ve ever come across” Samantha, Sheepskin
A magnificent barn rescued from nature and restored using traditional techniques by its creative and passionate owners. Veiled by the green rolling hills and 80 acres of private countryside, the contemporary interior of the barn draws colour & materials from its natural surroundings. The barn blends rustic chic style with influence from the owners’ travels.
Natural light floods the open plan living area upstairs through large windows giving extensive views of the quiet valley and your neighbours – sheep, whose wool fills the walls to keep you warm.
After exploring in the fresh mountain air, retire down the handcrafted wooden staircase to another world. Each unique bedroom is a santuary with polished tadelackt walls and floors and the exceptional bathrooms are beautifully finished.
The owners of Red Kite personally restored this unique magical Welsh holiday cottage having appeared on BBC’s Grand Designs for a previous project and this property is no exception, it is truly a Grand Design!
This project has been recognised in its own right too as in 2013 it was shortlisted for a RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) Welsh Architecture Award.
As of March 2013 there will be another Amazing Space at Red Kite Barn; Red Kite Tree Tent which is completely separate and private but can be booked together with the barn.
|Download a printable brochure of Red Kite Barn…|
at a glance
|1 king, 1 king (ensuite)||1 twin / king|
|Log burner||Under-floor heating|
|Feature fires in bedrooms||Open plan living|
|80 acres private forest||3m projection TV|
|TV, DVD & DVD collection||Board games & books|
|WIFI internet||Billiard table|
|TO MAKE LIFE EASIER|
|Dishwasher||Washer & dryer|
|Wine cabinet||No Security Deposit|
|Best for bigger kids||Forested grounds & stream|
|Cot and High Chair available
Truly a grand design
Inside Red Kite Barn
- Contemporary open plan living area with a modern & well-equipped kitchen.
- Large rustic dining table taking advantage of the views and a luxurious lounging area.
- Light, airy & warm living space upstairs with oak flooring, beams and architect designed staircase.
- Listen and relax to your music on the Vita iPod dock & radio.
- This space can be whatever you like, a romantic space with the lights low and log fire glowing, a sociable space with the lights bright to match the mood or a cinema room with the 3m projection screen.
- Downstairs 3 unique bedrooms and two luxurious bathrooms with hand polished tadelackt floors and walls.
- The king size bedroom with its art deco head board, has an indulgent en-suite with an illuminated rain shower over the Moroccan bath. Cuddle up here by the light of the feature fire, in the bed made with soft sheets and throws.
- The second king size bedroom has lots of space and an ethanol burning contemporary fire which gives a wonderful warmth and light as you settle in to the bed made with soft sheets and throws.
- The third bedroom can be made up as a twin or a king size, making it a lovely space for kids or a romantic retreat for a couple.
- Each bedroom has its own door to outside, with shuttered window.
- Contemporary family bathroom with a free standing bath and hand shower. The colour of the clever LED lights can be changed to set the mood or just for a bit of fun.
- There is an additional cloak room on the ground floor too.
- As always luxurious fluffy towels & Sheepskin bathrobes will be there for you too.
- The underfloor heating throughout the house and water are heated by geothermal boreholes outside.
Outside Red Kite Barn
- Enjoy this private location; a secluded setting with lots to explore within 80 acres of private forest.
- It’s tempting to spend the day in doors; the raised garden is perfect for alfresco dining with complete privacy and wonderful views of the valley and forest. Day or night it’s a wonderful place to spend time but particularly at night to be mesmerised by the stars in the inky black sky.
- The private grounds make a natural adventure playground for kids. Although the 80 acres of grounds are fenced this is a large area to discover and explore so we would recommend Red Kite Barn is not ideal for toddlers who may have a tendency to wander.
- This detached house is ideal for groups of friends, couples or families.
- Another Grand Design is in progress at Red Kite Barn, well officially an ‘Amazing Space’! The Red Kite Tree Tent is available to book now and will have Sheepskin guests from April 2013. The design is to give both spaces complete privacy and seclusion however of course all guests can enjoy the private woodlands. They can be booked together if you wish to extend the living space and try something a little different.
Things you should know
A low sports car wouldn’t be ideal for the drive up to the barn as it may struggle. The first mile of the single track is tarmac however the last 0.5 miles or so is a gravel road with some potholes. Not an issue at all for normal cars.
Mobiles reception is poor depending on your network, but you can get a signal if you walk outside.
There is wifi internet and a landline phone for emergencies and incoming calls
The nearest pub the oldest pub in Powys (the Red Lion) is 3 miles away and a small shop 4 miles away so a car is essential.
Open to guests in March – November is Red Kite Tree Tent. The Tree tent is hidden in the trees within Red Kite Barn’s 80 acres. The intention is that both the barn and tent have complete privacy and seclusion, they share the same main gate entrance but are hidden from each other as much as possible given all guests can roam the 80 acres.
It will be possible to book the barn and the tree tent if you so wish.
Private outdoor space to enjoy
Red Kite Barn out and about, our favourites…
- Walk from the front door to explore the extensive forests and stream of Red Kite Barn’s own grounds.
- Once you leave the 80 acres of Red Kite Barn, you are then in National Trust Woodland.
- Great for twitchers with Red Kites, Barn Owls, Woodpeckers, Cuckoos and Swallows all regular visitors.
- With only the light created from the barn to pollute the night sky, this is a perfect retreat for amateur astronomers.
- Enjoy outdoor activities; pony trekking, mountain biking, walking and fishing from the door of Red Kite Barn.
- Walk across the fields or meander down the lane to the oldest pub in Powys, The Red Lion at Llanafan-fawr (3 miles) for a hearty meal and guest ales.
- At Newbridge on Wye the New Inn (4 miles) is a good, local ale pub with the owner’s award-winning sausages featuring on the menu and in their rare breeds butcher shop next door too.
- Treat yourselves with personal catering available at the barn.
- Visit the historic market town of Builth Wells, famed for the annual Royal Welsh Show (July) and with events such as the Spring festival in May.
- Discover picturesque Elan Valley and the town of Rhayader as a base for organised outdoor pursuits or for the Landed music festival in May.
If you want more ideas of what there is to do nearby follow the links below or have a look at our idea for a holiday itinerary
When you book, whatever your passion just let us know, we’ll find all of the information you need and include it in your personal, tailored guide sent to you before you arrive.
Call or email us to find out more:
01865 764087, firstname.lastname@example.org
For the more adventurous there is so much to do near all of our properties. From fishing and mountain biking to caving and coasteering…
You can see Red Kites soaring above Red Kite Barn and watch them being fed at Gigrin Farm
Things to do near Red Kite Barn
Hearty food and real ale at the Red Lion
Red Kite Barn perfect luxury base to visit The Royal Welsh Show and other events in Builth wells
Red Kite Barn press
Red Kite Barn has been recognised by guests and press alike.
Here is a selection of press articles in which Red Kite Barn has been featured…
Red Kite Barn one of 20 gorgeous group getaways.
…with a house as chic and cosy as this, we don’t think you’ll want to leave…
…sweeping views, soothing massages and awesome birds of prey are just some of the delights to distract you at luxury Red Kite Barn.
Sheepskin and Red Kite Barn recommended by The Guardian…
Red Kite Barn Reviews
Red Kite joined Sheepskin in March 2012: until now only the owners and their family have enjoyed this place whilst they have painstakingly restored this secluded barn to create a unique and comfortable home.
“Now Sam and I (Helen) have stayed there too and it is truly is a wonderful place. Having visited several times during the renovation process I was still completely wowed by the contemporary and welcoming space that greets you as you enter. I’d like to have had time to explore more of the surrounding forest, try some real ale at the Red Lion and spend the night watching movies on the big screen – I’ll just have to find time to go back there!” Helen and Sam
“Red Kite Barn was extraordinary – at the end of a long road was a long track which then turned into a dirt track and then finally – the most amazing barn. In the middle of nowhere. It is stunning – absolutely perfect for a romantic getaway. We had the most wonderful few days – cooking, walking and genuinely getting away from it all. Would definitely go back when/if we have a chance!” Mazzadh
”We stayed at Red Kite Barn for three nights and after a few questions on our part, David and Anjana were fantastic and very attentive in resolving our queries. After conquering the farm track to get to the barn, the house was gorgeous, warm and welcoming – a real testament to the owners’ taste. It’s a contemporary and spacious barn renovation but still remains a cosy and extremely relaxing place to be. The walks in the surrounding hills were stunning and we happily got lost wandering down river banks and meeting lots of wildlife, from some very inquisitive swallows to red kites soaring on the thermals. We ended our holiday with a wonderful massage from Emma who is an asset to the experience and was a great treat before our drive home – and she gave us loads of great tips on what to do for two newcomers to Wales. We can’t wait to come back.”~ Will and Sophie
Red Kite Barn availability
We are as flexible as possible with arrival date and length of stay.
We have a minimum booking of 3 nights and, during peak holiday times, a minimum of 7 night stays.
Our calendars are up to date at the end of each working day. Do feel free to get in touch if you would like to check any dates with us or ask anything before you make your decision.
Call, email or fill out our booking form, whichever you prefer and we will be in touch to confirm all of the details with you.
Bookings are subject to availability and treated on a first come first served basis. If you want to be sure to reserve the dates you want and you’re searching outside of office hours filling out our form is the best way.
If you want to see dates for all of our cottages, please go to our availability page.
Please use the left and right arrows to scroll through the months.
Prices for Red Kite Barn
We’re here to take the hassle away from booking and planning your holiday.
Like life but better…
Most importantly there are no hidden extras, the price below includes everything from tea towels to bath towels, utilities of course and essential extras such as logs for the fire.
The price also includes ‘Special touches’ like your guide tailored sent to you to help you plan your holiday, sumptuous Sheepskin bathrobes and a welcome hamper.
We want you to relax and enjoy your holiday so no security deposit to worry about either. This works because our guests are like our owners they respect and appreciate beautiful places and other people’s precious homes.
Accidents do happen and if damage does occur during your stay we will ask for reasonable contribution towards the cost of repairs or replacements.
Please read our user-friendly terms and conditions for more information and which by confirming your booking you are agreeing to.
|Red Kite Barn sleeps||6 people|
|Available for short breaks year round, except for peak holiday times.
Please get in touch to confirm if you want to check a particular date.
|Outside of peak holiday times Red Kite Barn can be made available just for two to enjoy for a special treat at a very special rate, please see the rates below …|
|2 person rate £||630||795||955||1115||1200|
|Red Kite Barn welcomes pets at the additional charge as below|
|pets charge £||30||for one pet|
|£||50||for two pets|
Like life but even better… if you’ve stayed with Sheepskin within the last 6 months and are booking ‘off-peak’ for 5 nights or more we will reduce the standard rate by 10% for you.
When we receive your booking form we will reserve your requested dates for 5 days and we will be in touch to confirm all the finer details with you.
If you prefer call or email:
+44 (0) 1865 764 087