Knightsfieldnear Hay on Wye, near Brecon Beacons, Wales Sleeps 6–10
Cradled by a lush green fold of the Black Mountains, dramatic slopes of Hay Bluff rise behind this Large self catering Welsh holiday home.
“An oasis of peace and tranquillity with glorious views and magnificent walks in every direction from the front door. Impeccably restored, wood and welsh slate abound, it’s so luxurious it’s hard leave” – Mariella Frostrup who stayed during Hay Festival, June 2011
As you leave Hay on Wye, the Black Mountains rise high, the start of the breathtaking landscape of the Brecon Beacons National Park with its sandstone peaks, open moorland and green valleys. On the way through Gospel Pass to the enchanting Vale of Ewyas, you pass this magnificent and luxurious farmhouse, hugged protectively by the fern covered hill side, looking out across the many farmland parishes below.
So precious is this landscape, the Welsh Assembly had to grant final approval for this old building to be restored. Honouring this privileged responsibility, the owner has brought the ruin back to life with painstaking attention to detail and inspired commitment to the cause. Each hand cut brick, tailored tile and carved doorway touched by skilled craftsmen who now, proudly smile at what they’ve built, not just a house but a unique family legacy. We are honoured to be able to share this privileged space with you, an unusual but special place for a large family or group holiday in the peace and tranquillity of the Brecon Beacons.
|Download a printable brochure of Knightsfield…|
Knightsfield is now offering Yoga weekends. Read more on your experience page…
Send to a friend
At a glance
|5 king beds||2 sofa beds on req|
|Log burn + open fire||Underfloor heating|
|B&W iPod dock||Sat TV, DVD, Wii console|
|Board games||WIFI internet|
|TO MAKE LIFE EASIER|
|No Security Deposit|
|Absolutely!||Cot & H-Chair on request|
Rustic luxury barn in the hills
- You enter Knightsfield via a large, stunning kitchen which is really the heart of the house complete with Aga as well as an electric, fan oven in the island unit which can double up as a breakfast bar.
- Deemed a sociable kitchen for large family gatherings.
- There is an enormous fridge to store all of your supplies and after your feast there is no need to argue who washes up with a dishwasher. A washing machine is available in the stone outhouse that serves as a utility and store.
- If you are looking for urban living in the hills, then Knightsfield ticks all the boxes. An open plan living area, comprising of a formal dining table, leather sofas, open fire, music system.
- If you get bored of the views a huge flat screen TV and DVD player are hidden in the hand crafted cabinets.
- In the main house are three large luxury double bedrooms each very individual combining traditional craftsmanship and contemporary furnishings.
- Upstairs too there is a separate TV area with a DVD player and WII game console. The sofa here is a sofa bed, perfect for an extra person or children.• Downstairs the spacious bathroom not only has a luxurious claw foot bath, but a huge walk in shower.
- At Knightsfield you also have the separate barn across the garden with stunning views from the enormous glass doors in its open plan living area
- The barn has its own kitchen and dining area where all ten of you can gather for a culinary and visual feast overlooking the stunning Welsh scenery.
- Upstairs two spacious double bedrooms and a cloakroom with another wonderful bathroom downstairs again with claw foot bath and walk in shower.
- A cot can be provided on request for families with small children.
- Knightsfield is restored in sympathy not just to its original design and locality but to the environment with under floor heating powered by ground source heating.
- Wherever you stand (or sit in the hot tub!) you have spectacular views with Hay Bluff behind and the grassy meadows and valley views stretching out in front.
- Within the walls of the garden there are large patio and lawn areas with a seating area and BBQ for alfresco dining.
Things you need to know
Knightsfield is remote and is situated high in the Black Mountains at around 400 metres above sea level, with single track lanes for the last 4 miles. In the winter months it is not guaranteed that the last miles or so of these roads will be passable.
Knightsfield is a long way from the nearest street light; you will experience dark nights and the sounds of nocturnal wildlife.
In the main house the downstairs bathroom is stunning with claw foot bath and huge walk in shower but this is the only one in the house. The barn has a bathroom downstairs and cloakroom upstairs.
Knightsfield is built from the surrounding hills and uses other natural resources too. Water from a spring is treated so it tastes great and is completely safe to drink.
If you would like to use the outdoor hot tub please let us know as there is an additional charge so that it can be set up before you arrive
Mobile reception is poor depending on your network. You can get a signal higher up the hill behind the house.
Pets unfortunately can’t be accepted at Knightsfield.
Nestled in dramatic landscapes
- Delights of Hay on Wye and Brecon Beacons walks 3.5 hours from London: 178 miles
- A ‘Wow house in the dramatic landscape of Hay Bluff 3.5 hours from Manchester: 145 miles
- Nestled in the Black Mountains, within the Brecon Beacons national park, 5 miles N of Hay on Wye.
- High in the hills at the foot of Hay Bluff the remote location offers a privileged opportunity to enjoy spectacular scenery.
Top 10 things to do from Knightsfield...
To give you an idea we have selected our favourite top 10 things to do whilst staying at Knightsfield. But if love doing something else just let us know, we’ll find all of the information you need and include it in your personal, tailor-made guide sent to you before you arrive.
Call or email us to find out more:
Local pub nearby
The Star Inn at Talybont-on-Usk does some great ales and good home cooked, pub grub. After a walk over the Brecon Beacons this is our favourite place to stop for much-needed refreshments.
Eat Out near Knightsfield
The Felin Fach Griffin at Felin Fach is a well known gastro-pub, relaxed and comfortable. A great mix of good food and good ale ideal for evenings or slouching with the papers in their big leather sofas at lunchtime.
Fabulous views from the Hot Tub
Enjoy the wonderful panoramic views which take in Hay Bluff and the beautiful, peaceful valley below, magnificent whatever the weather.
For the more adventurous there is so much to do near all of our properties. From fishing and mountain biking to caving and coasteering…
Find a unique souvenir at The Hay Makers Gallery…
Visit Historic Skenfrith Castle
Marvel at the remains of a 13th century castle, built beside the River Monnow. Located in the famous town of Abergavveny.
This eight day walking Festival is at the end of February and consists of a number of guided walks of various grades all led by local experienced guides.
Twmpa and Hay Bluff are famous landmarks in the area and the views are quite spectacular.
Hay on Wye is famous for its book shops and annual festival…
During September the market town of Abergavenny proudly shows off it’s local produce lovingly presented by farmers, chefs and passionate suppliers.
Finishing Touches, Personal Service
|We know that your perfect break needs time to search and organize, so we do the searching for you and help tailor your stay to what you love to do.
We’ll find all of the information you’ll need and include it in your personal, tailor-made guide sent to you before you arrive.
When you arrive at our cottages you will find beds made with soft cotton sheets, marshmallow duvets, cosy welsh blankets & generous bedspreads. As well as hotel style comforts with sumptuous Sheepskin bathrobes, fluffy cotton towels and B&W iPod docking station so don’t forget your iPod!
We provide all that you need from tea towels, toilet tissue and dishwasher tablets to a generous supply of logs for the log burner and a jute shopping bag (as part of your welcome gift) to take home with you!
With our compliments, for your arrival, there will be a Sheepskin jute bag for you to keep. In the bag you will find; extra virgin olive oil, natural rock salt, fresh black peppercorns, Sheepskin’s own blend roast and ground coffee, tea bags and some tasty treats!
You can also add your own finishing touches by choosing one of our two delicious Tapas selections. Ordered separately and delivered to your cottage, our tapas are a perfect solution for an informal, delicious meal when you first arrive at the cottage or simply when you don’t want to cook, see our delicatessen page for more details.
Knightsfield has been recognised by guests and press alike.
Here is a selection of press articles in which Knightsfield has been featured…
“Fabulous house in a stunning remote location at the bottom of the mountain. Wonderful drive to get there. Great facilities including hot tub. Could do with another bathroom in the main house.” Tom, October 2011
“Just wanted to say we had an awesome time at Knightsfield. It was beyond our expectations in so many ways. Everyone had a brilliant time. Will definitely use it/you again.” Danny
“An oasis of peace and tranquillity with glorious views and magnificent walks in every direction from the front door. Impeccably restored, wood and welsh slate abound, it’s so luxurious it’s hard leave” – Mariella Frostrup (The Observer) who stayed during The Hay Literary Festival June 11
“a fantastic few days! The house was in a lovely position, very well equipped… your service was exceptional, I especially liked the personalised booklet sent prior to our stay and the welcome pack included some very tasty treats!
I am converted and will definitely recommend you to my friends, In fact I was going to enquire about booking Lletty” – Vanessa April 11
“We had the most wonderful stay at Knightsfield… we had everything we could have wanted and more. Great place to stay, beautiful surroundings. very relaxing and enjoyable weekend… I cannot fault a single moment…what a great company Sheepskin Cottages are to deal with, you thought of everything even down to a weather report a few days before our stay.” Deborah, March 2011
“I just wanted to let you know that we had an absolutely fantastic time at Knightsfield. The house was stunning…All agreed that it was one of the best weekends away that we have had and are already thinking about a return trip which will hopefully be a little longer. In the meantime we will be recommending Knightsfield and Sheepskin to anyone who will listen!” – MacBraynes, March 2011
“I thought should write to say how lovely Knightsfield was… it really is something special. We were astonished at how brilliantly it was fitted out…. the box of goodies was very nice too, so thank you for those” – Nick, November 2010
As with all of our properties we are as flexible as possible with arrival date and length of stay with a minimum booking of 3 nights. However during peak holiday times this property is only available for a minimum of 7 night stays. The preferred arrival day for Knightsfield is Friday.
Please do contact us to confirm availability for the dates you are looking for.
If you want to see dates for all of our cottages, please go to our all availability page.
Please use the left and right arrows to scroll through the months.
Prices for Knightsfield
|Available for short breaks year round, except for peak holiday times.
If you want to ask about a specific date just get in touch. Friday is arrival day at Knightsfield.
Outside of peak holiday times or with late availability there is the possibility to rent the house only or barn only, please get in touch with us for more details.
When we receive your booking form we will reserve your requested dates for 5 days and we will be in touch to confirm all the finer details with you.
If you prefer call or email:
+44 (0) 1865 764 087